Saturday, February 20, 2010

1989 Shelby CSX Fiberide Wheel Model

A few years ago I purchased a busted Fiberide wheel from a 1989 Shelby CSX VNT. These wheels are of a fiberglass / plastic composite construction; just one of the very innovative features. The 89 CSX featured a 2.2L VNT (variable nozzle turbo) motor; the first of its kind. The VNT can alter its geometry eliminating the need for a wastegate and preventing turbo lag. This technology was way ahead of its time and has just recently been incorporated on performance cars like Porsches and various diesel motors.

Getting back to the Fiberide wheels; I decided recently to model this rim based on measurements taken from my sample. This was a fun project for me, allowing me to explore some more advanced features of Solidworks (I used the 2006 edition). I would like to someday work some freelance solid modeling, perhaps creating a freelance design firm in the distant future. Hey, I can dream, right?

Here is a screenshot of my model:

And here is an exquisite example of a 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT from Jalopnik.com:


Fiberides unfortunately don't seem to hold up well if you experience a tire blowout; perhaps some a serious Turbo Dodge enthusiast will one day want some machined alloy "Fiberide" wheels and I can make use of my CAD model...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey uh yeah I want alloy ones. I was gonna buy a plastic set until i realised they were plastic...